Physiotherapy is a health care profession with an emphasis on the use of physical approaches for the promotion of health and the prevention, treatment and management of disease and disability. It is the fourth largest health care profession in the world and addresses problems with movement, dysfunction and pain. These can arise from Musculoskeletal, neurological, respiratory, and chronic disability conditions, or from mental illness and intellectual impairment.
Goals are achieved through comprehensive assessment with individualized treatment combining education, continuous support, home exercise programs and advice, using knowledge from our extensive scientific background of human anatomy and physiology.
The physiotherapy team are an integral part of the clinical body and form part of the support team for our consultants. This means they use the latest research and evidence based methods of treatment in their clinical practice. Physiotherapists have regular opportunities to discuss cases with consultants, whether for an individual who is being treated in conjunction with a surgeon or simply for input with patients receiving outpatient treatment.
The range of treatment options we have available to help with our patients:
• Manual therapy techniques (joint mobilisations, manipulations)
• Soft tissue techniques (myofascial release, trigger point techniques, Muscle Energy Techniques, stretches, PNF)
• Patient-specific exercise prescriptions
• Structured exercise classes and programmes (back class, leg class, ACL reconstruction class, shoulder class, osteoarthritis class, individually tailored programmes)
• Advice and education
• Chronic pain management advice
• Functional restoration programme for those with long standing pain